Saying thank you is more than just displaying your good etiquette habits. It’s a reflection of your character. When you fail to thank someone for something, you send a powerful message to them that you do not matter to them; that they aren’t interested in maintaining or strengthening their relationship with you. It damages the relationship. Thank you says “I value of our relationship”. Thank you’s at best, require a personal call or a thank you card. Emails, FaceBooking, or texting works, but they are not as personal. They just maintain the relationship. You lose the opportunity to strengthen the relationship if you don’t follow up with a call or a card. When should you say thank you?
- When someone sends you a gift
- When someone remembers your birthday
- When someone acknowledges an important life event such as a death in the family, birth, wedding, engagement etc.
- When someone refers a customer or client to you
- When someone does you or a direct family member a favor
- After paying a friend or family member back who has lent you money
- When someone acknowledges an accomplishment or achievement
- When someone does anything good for you or a direct family member
- When someone opens the door to an important contact for any reason
- When someone promotes anything that is important to you or a direct family member
Thank you calls and cards deepen the roots to the relationship tree. Saying thank you through calls or cards is a Rich Habit. It’s something the most successful people do with regularity.