Wealthy, successful people understand that building and maintaining relationships is one of the many keys to success. To the wealthy, relationships are like gold. How you communicate with your relationships will help strengthen or weaken them. Here are some tips I uncovered from my Rich Habits study:
- Look your relationships in the eye for no more than 5 seconds at a time, then divert your glance for another 5 seconds. Practice will turn this into a habit.
- Not every thought that comes into your head should come out of your mouth. Vet your thoughts. Speaking your mind does not mean sharing every thought. Some thoughts are not appropriate and could cause irreparable damage to your relationships.
- Never criticize, condem or complain about anyone to another relationship. It’s a giant red flag that you will complain about them to others.
- Never gossip.
- Gather as much information about your relationships as you can. At a minimum gather the following information: birthdays, hobbies, interests, schools attended, where they grew up, current family background (married? kids?), where they live, dreams or goals they are pursuing.
- Make Hello Calls, Happy Birthday Calls and Life Event Calls.