Habits define us. Like the Wizard of Oz, they are hidden behind a curtain of unconscious behaviors, thinking and emotions. Those with good daily habits excel in life and are happy.Their lives are filled with satisfying relationships, calm and unexpected good consequences (i.e. good luck).
Those with bad daily habits struggle in life and are unhappy. Their lives are filled with conflict, turmoil and unexpected bad consequences (i.e. bad luck).
I thought I’d apply my extensive habits knowledge to the two main individuals who are running for President this year, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
Based on my findings Donald Trump has 3 Poor Habits and 3 Rich Habits that stand out. Hillary Clinton has 6 Poor Habits and 2 Rich Habits that stand out. From a habit standpoint Trump is the better choice for President.
I complied a list of the most common types of habits along with some commentary regarding those habits that stand out, good or bad.
- Height: 6 foot 2 inches.
- Weight: 198 lbs.
- Wake Up Time: 5 am.
- Bedtime: 1 am.
- Number of Hours Work Each Day: 16.
- Breakfast: Very rarely eats breakfast but will occasionally eat bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Eats sandwich at desk when in office, otherwise eats at restaurants.
- Dinner: Eats out at restaurants at least 5 nights a week.
- Favorite Food: Bacon and Eggs.
- Exercise: Golf.
- Time Spent Watching TV Daily: Less than 1 hour.
- Most Frequently Watched TV Programs/Shows: Fox News, Fox Business, Morning Joe.
- Hobbies/Past times: Golf, spending time with family.
- Daily Dress: Custom made suits.
- Nighttime Dress: underwear and t shirt.
- Words Used Most Frequently: Huge, big, amazing, tremendous, nasty, sudden, businessman, currency, nice, disgrace, beautiful.
- Grooming: Self-Grooms.
- Time Spent Reading Every Day: 3 hours in morning and some at night.
- Go To Daily Reading Material: WSJ, business blogs, Internet articles, real estate and growth-related material.
- # Books You Read/Month: 3.
- Book Genre Preference: Biographies, Historical, Philosophy and Self-Help, Bible.
- Time Talking on Phone Each Day: 4 hours. One hour with family, three hours business/other.
- Morning Routine: Wake 5am, read for 3 hours, get ready for work.
- Nighttime Routine: Work, watch less than 1 hour of TV, read a book.
- Alcohol Consumption: Does not drink alcohol.
- Meditate: No.
- Maintains To-Do List: Yes. Prepares own to-do list.
- Weekend Activities: Work, read a book. When not traveling for work: Golf, spend time with family when not traveling.
- Who Do You Frequently Communicate With Each Day: Family, business associates.
- Junk Food: Eats snacks that are not necessarily healthy.
There are a few habits that really stick out:
- Weight 198 lbs = Poor Habit – The ideal weight for a 6-2 male is 164 – 178 pounds. So, Trump is about 20 pounds overweight. Being overweight can lead to numerous health issues. We want our President to be healthy.
- Hours Worked Each Day 16 = Rich Habit – Trump is a workhorse. It’s no wonder he’s so successful. He outworks his competition.
- Sleep 4 Hours a Night = Poor Habit – Sleeping 4 hours a night is unhealthy. It means you are not getting in enough sleep cycles (4 is the minimum). Sleep is important for brain health and memory formation and retention. Sleep enables the brain to do housecleaning – getting rid of the free radicals and waste that accumulates inside and on the brain cells while you are awake. Lack of sleep could result in a build-up of amyloid plaque, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Exercise Golf = Poor Habit – Trump does very little exercise and this contributes to his excess weight. Habits are funny things. They have a way of affecting many aspects of your life.
- Time Spent Reading Every Day 4 Hours and Book Genre Preference = Rich Habit – Trump is clearly a voracious reader. But what really stands out is what he reads. Trump reads to grow and learn, a common trait of all self-made millionaires that I uncovered in my Rich Habits Study.
- Alcohol Consumption None = Rich Habit – Drinking too much alcohol is a Poor Habit. Avoiding alcohol entirely is a Rich Habit. We don’t want our President picking up the phone after having a few cocktails.
- Junk Food = Poor Habit – Trump has admitted to eating too much junk food when he snacks. Eating more than 300 calories a day is bad for your health and it appears Trump has this Poor Habit.
- Height: 5 foot 6 inches
- Weight: was 132 pounds before hitting the campaign trail, but the scuttlebutt is that Clinton has gained 30 pounds while campaigning, putting her at 162 lbs.
- Wake Up Time: 5:30 am
- Bedtime: 11:30 am
- Daily Napping: Yes, 2 or more 15 minute naps every day
- Number of Hours Work Each Day: 12-14
- Breakfast: Well-done scrambled eggs.
- Lunch: Fast food, salad, sandwich or a snack.
- Dinner: French, Italian, pizza, boca burgers usually at restaurants,
- Favorite Food: Boca Burgers, Jalapenos, Ninja Squirrel Hot Sauce, French Food, Lamb, Hummus, Baba Ghanoush and Tahini, pizza, sausage, bar-b-que, tacos.
- Exercise: Yoga
- Time Spent Watching TV Daily: 2 hours
- Most Frequently Watched TV Programs/Shows: MSN, CNN, House of Cards, The Good Wife, and Madam Secretary.
- Hobbies/Past times: Spending time with grandchildren and family
- Daily Dress: Custom made suits
- Nighttime Dress: Pajamas
- Words Used Most Frequently: Systematic, fair, family, voted, support, children, elsewhere, discrimination, racism, recommend, advise.
- Grooming: Self-Grooms
- Time Spent Reading Every Day: 2 hours.
- Daily Reading Material: NYT, blogs, Internet articles.
- # Books You Read/Month: 3
- Book Genre Preference: Fiction, cooking, diet, self-help and gardening.
- Time Talking on Phone Each Day: 2 hours
- Morning Routine: Wake at 5am, read 1 hour, do yoga, get ready for work.
- Nighttime Routine: Work, watch TV, read a book.
- Alcohol Consumption: Moderate consumption.
- Meditate: Yes – Yoga
- Maintains To-Do List: Yes. Prepared by staff
- Weekend Activities: Work, read a book. When not traveling for work: spends time with family, reads a book, watch TV.
- Who Do You Frequently Communicate With Each Day: Daughter, advisors, other politicians.
- Junk Food: Ice cream
There are a few habits that really stick out:
- Weight 162 = Poor Habit – The ideal weight for a 5-6 female is 130 – 144 pounds. So, Clinton is about 20 pounds overweight. Being overweight can lead to numerous health issues. We want our President to be healthy.
- Daily Napping Twice a Day = Rich Habit – This is actually a very good habit. The latest on the science of sleep indicates that humans are hardwired to nap. Naps can counteract the negative health implications of not getting a good night’s sleep and restores willpower energy, which gets depleted during the day.
- Lunch/Dinner = Poor Habit – Clinton’s eating habits are not very good. Much of what she eats is on the fringe of being unhealthy.
- Exercise Yoga = Rich Habit/Poor Habit – Yoga has some health benefits such as lowering your risk for heart disease and hypertension. Clinton, however, does no aerobic or anaerobic exercise and that is a Poor Habit.
- Book Genre Preference = Poor Habit – Clinton has poor reading habits. She reads for primarily for entertainment rather than for education, learning and growth.
- Time Spent Watching TV 2 hours = Poor Habit – Clinton admitted in a Stephen Colbert interview that she binge-watches TV show such as House of Cards, The Good Wife, and Madam Secretary. Watching too much TV is a Poor Habit because it is a time waster, just like reading books strictly for entertainment.
- Junk Food Ice Cream = Poor Habit – Clinton’s ice cream eating junk food habit is well-known. Ice cream contains a lot of sugar. Sugar is one of the worst chemicals to ingest. Too much sugar plays havoc with your blood-sugar level and can lead to Type II Diabetes and heart disease. Junk food, particularly ice cream, should be limited to no more than once a week to ensure good health.