Nicolas Christakis, a Yale University professor and leading researcher on socially contagious behaviors, found that habits are contagious. Here are some of the discoveries he made regarding habits:
- Habits spread like a virus through your social networks.
- Parents pass good and bad habits down to their children.
- If your family or friends are obese, your risk of obesity increases by 25%.
- If your family or friends smoke cigarettes, you are more likely to smoke.
- If your family or friends exercise, you are more likely to exercise.
- If your family or friends do not value education, you are more likely to not value education.
- If your family or friends are poor, you are more likely to be poor.
- If your family or friends are negative, you are more likely to be negative.
- Where you live and who you associate with shapes the life you lead.
If you are disgusted with your life, you have to change who you associate with.
While you may not be able to change your family associations, you can change your non-family associations. You can decide to associate with individuals who have good habits that lead to a happy, healthy and successful life.