When your brain is foggy, you cannot think clearly, you make poor decisions, your memory suffers and things slip through the cracks that can damage your career and ability to make money.
Common Causes of Brain Fog:
- Multi-Tasking: Constantly shifting from one task to another taxes the brain. Multi-tasking demands an enormous amount of glucose (brain fuel). When that fuel is depleted the brain slows down – you feel tired and foggy.
- Stress: When you are under stress, this too depletes the stores of glucose found throughout the body.
- Eating Junk: Eating too much junk food, processed food, trans fats, dairy products and foods containing vegetable oils damages your mitochondria, which must convert that food into glucose and then into ATP (fuel for the body).
- Sleep Deprivation: You need at least four cycles of sleep a night. That is the minimum. Each sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes. So, at a minimum, you need about six hours of sleep every day. Five sleep cycles is optimum.
The self-made millionaires in my study developed habits that not only helped clear away the brain fog, but improved their cognitive abilities:
- Focus: Self-made millionaires focus on one task at a time. They did not multi-task.
- Eat Healthy: Self-made millionaires eat right. Two out of three meals are vegetables, fruits (not too sweet) and healthy fats, high in HDL (good cholesterol).
- Get Some Oxygen – Oxygen is used by the brain to catalyze Glucose or Ketones, the main fuels used by brain cells. Aerobic exercise forces you to breath in more oxygen, helping the brain boost the fuel it needs to function at an optimal level.
- De-Stress: Self-made millionaires de-stress by meditating, running, taking a nap, closing their eyes for a few minutes or any number of things that put them into a relaxed state. Consider a walk or jog by a lake or by the beach, or walking along a trail or the ocean.
- Get Adequate Sleep: Self-made millionaires get 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Have a Glass of Wine or Beer.
- Take Supplements That reduce Inflammation: Turmeric, a baby aspirin, ginger, Omega 3, EPA/DHA.
Brain Fog creeps up on you over time. Symptoms are forgetfulness, indecision, poor decisions, anger, anxiety, tiredness and weight gain. If you want to succeed, you need to take care of your brain.
Brain Fog will derail you from success.