A global poll conducted by Gallup learned that only 15% of people are engaged at work. That means that an astronomical 85% of people are unhappy in their jobs.
While job dissatisfaction has many underlying causes, one common effect is apathy. Most employees are simply apathetic about their work and their lives.
What can you do to energize yourself out of apathy?
How to Energize Yourself:
- Engage in Strengths – Engaging in activities that allow you to focus on your strengths, energize you. They toggle on the emotional center of your brain. Many employees feel unfulfilled on the job because they are performing tasks that do not utilize their strengths. Spend some time identifying your strengths and then pursue initiatives at work that utilize those strengths. Or, do something outside of work that involves activities that utilize your strengths: Side Hustle, Side Business, Hobby, etc.
- Engage in Innate Talents – Everyone has certain Innate Talents that they were born with. Innate Talents are activities that come easier to you than everyone else. When you are engaged in activities that involve your Innate Talents, this will energize you. Activities involving your Innate Talents toggle on the emotional center of your brain, making you feel energized and fulfilled, while engaging in those Innate Talents. If you can identify what your Innate Talents are, through experimentation, you can pursue initiates/projects at work that exploit your Innate Talents. Or, do something outside of work that involves activities that utilize your Innate Talents: Side Hustle, Side Business, Hobby, etc.
- Associate With Upbeat People – When you surround yourself with upbeat, enthusiastic people, these individuals will energize you, just by being around them.
- Pursue a Dream – When you pursue a dream, this will energize you. The pursuit of a dream amps up the emotional center of the brain.
- Pursue a Passion – When you pursue something you are passionate about, this will energize you. Engaging in something you are passionate about, amps up the emotional center of the brain.
- Associate with individuals who are pursuing the same dream, passion or goals that you are pursuing. These individuals will help keep you energized.
- Exercise Daily.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep every day.
- Take a short nap.