“A soft answer turns away wrath but grievous words stir up anger.” Proverbs 15:1
Ninety-three percent of the self-made millionaires in my study made a habit of not losing their temper. Why?
Because anger prevents success. Here are some of my findings from my research regarding anger:
- People avoid individuals who are not able to control their anger. Anger destroys relationships and impairs your business.
- Anger also shuts down the prefrontal cortex and activates the amygdala, the negative emotion center of the brain. Thus, it temporarily blinds you to finding solutions to problems. You are unable to think your way out of stressful situations, which undermines your business.
- Anger results in bad decisions and poor choices.
- Anger exacerbates problems and fuels arguments. It is like adding kindling to a fire, expanding and growing the fire.
- Anger will destroy a marriage.
- Anger creates more stress. It elevates your levels of cortisol (stress hormone), which impairs the production of T-Cells (immune cells), leading to sickness and disease.
- Anger increases inflammation throughout the body, increasing the incidence of heart disease.
- Anger decreases your happiness and increases your unhappiness. It does the same to your close relationships.
- Anger tears down employees, destroying there self esteem, decreasing their productivity, which impairs your business.
- Angry people drink more and have more addictions. They lean on alcohol and drugs to soothe their anger, rather than on productive alternatives such as exercise, meditation or yoga.
- Angry people are avoided like the plague. They are considered too impulsive and a danger to do business with.
- Anger destroys business partnerships.